19 June 2007

Dead Sea






We have just arrived from our trip to Dead Sea and it was a really great trip! Sadly, we are both sun burnt a bit, but we will survive that. As soon as we arrived, we dropped our bags, changed our clothes, grabbed our cameras, and dashed down to the shore. After enjoying the view for a few minutes we dropped our shirts on a chaise and went down and jumped into the sea. I will tell you again that it is a truly strange sensation to lie down in that water and not to sink!

Unfortunately, like a true eejit I decided to turn myself over and swim as I would in sweet water. Let me tell you, that WILL NOT work!!! Immediately, my eyes and mouth were filled with that salty water and my eyes burnt like fire! Try wiping the water away with your hands and you will only worsen the situation. So, I backed myself up toward the shore so I could sit and just wait for the sun to dry the water from my eyes. Remember, at this point, it was still impossible to even open them, so I’m doing this blindly. Zeek managed to make his way over to help me get closer to the shore. All this thrashing about was observed by a man on the beach. He came over and yelled for me to come toward his voice and dry my eyes with his t-shirt. After all was settled he introduced himself as the new Chef there at the Marriott. He is from New York City and had just arrived there himself. He and his fiancé are moving to Dead Sea.

After we came out of the water we gave ourselves a mud bath. Cute picture, isn’t it? We wandered round the shoreline for a while, until the mud dried and then showered it off and lay on the chaise lounges to have a couple of beers and relax.

The rest of our time there was spent lounging round the pool smoking nargilla and drinking beer. After we checked out of the hotel, we were sitting in reception waiting for our bus to arrive and who should we see but our old friend Danny who now works in that hotel. He was a bit upset because he didn’t know we were there because he would have arranged some special meals and discounts for us. Sadly, it was too late for any of that, but you can sure believe we will remember he is there next visit!

No comments: